If you need back to school dinner ideas, what can be more kid friendly than a bowl of Spaghetti and Meatball Soup made with turkey meatballs cooked in a light tomato broth!
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
This Spaghetti and Turkey Meatball Soup is a one pot meal my whole family loves and leftovers are great for lunch! I first shared this back in 2011, I used to make this all the time when Madison was little. It’s a perfect back to school dinner! I finally got a chance to rephotograph it, which I have wanted to do for a while. It’s very popular in my home, and I’m sure it will be in yours too. More kid-friendly meals your family might enjoy are Instant Pot Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs, Crock Pot Turkey Chili, and Madison’s Favorite Beef Tacos.
I have always tried to make one meal for the whole family. When Madison was a toddler just learning to eat solid foods, I would give her less broth, and she would eat the spaghetti soup with her messy hands. I never made separate meals, no frozen chicken nuggets. And now that she’s a pre-teen she’s such a great eater. I prefer to use 93% lean ground turkey, but if you want to reduce the fat more 99% will work.
Can you cook spaghetti directly in the soup?
Although you can cook pasta separate in water, I always cook spaghetti right in the soup so there’s less dishes to wash.
How to Freeze
Freeze leftover spaghetti soup and meatball in small containers so you can pull it out on busy nights when you need something fast to feed your kids. The soup will last in the fridge for about 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months. You can thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or reheat it in the microwave or on the stove straight from frozen.
- Meatballs: Swap ground turkey for lean ground chicken or beef.
- Pasta: Substitute spaghetti for another pasta shape, like elbow macaroni or rotini. You can also use whole-wheat noodles.
- Liquid: Since the pasta expands, you can add more broth if necessary.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add some vegetables like spinach or chopped carrots and celery.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Kid friendly, one-pot Spaghetti and Meatball Soup made with turkey meatballs simmered in a light tomato broth!
For the soup:
- 5 cups low sodium, chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped and divided
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped, divided
- 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce, I use my quick marinara sauce
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 6 oz dry cut up spaghetti
For the meatballs:
- 16 oz 93% lean ground turkey, or 99% lean
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
Heat a large pot over high heat and add chicken broth, water, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1/4 of the chopped onion, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh black pepper to a boil, When it comes to a boil simmer about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining ground turkey, Parmesan cheese, egg, remaining garlic, remaining onion, remaining parsley, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into little 1 inch meatballs (about 36).
Drop meatballs into the broth, cook about 3 minutes; add pasta and cook according to package directions.
Add fresh basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Calories: 213kcal, Carbohydrates: 27.5g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 3g, Sodium: 739mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 2g
WW Points Plus: 5
Keywords: kid-friendly soup, kids lunch box, one pot spaghetti and meatball soup, spaghetti and meatball soup