Tender chicken parmesan sandwiches with crispy chicken, marinara sauce, melted mozzarella, and pesto all loaded on buttery garlic bread.
I know, you don’t think you need a recipe for a parmesan chicken sandwich, right? You would think that you could just stick our absolutely delicious recipe for chicken parmesan in a hoagie and all would be well, but you would be wrong. We’ve got a few secrets that are very important.
These chicken parm subs were so so yummy. If you live in Utah you may have visited a sandwich shop called, Moochies. It’s delicious, sloppy, fattening and perfect. I decided to make our own version of the chicken parmesan sub from there and oh my! It was really quite yummy.
All of the different flavors used in this sammy really come together and make what could look like just another ordinary sandwich into something worth drooling over. Fresh bread, meat sauce, delicious, melty cheese and the secrets.
These ingredients are pretty straightforward. Maybe the only surprise will be the pesto, but we love the extra layer of flavor it adds! Here is your shopping list:
For the Chicken
- Olive Oil – keeps the chicken from sticking to the pan
- Unsalted Butter – combined with the olive oil, it adds flavor and gets that chicken nice and golden
- Chicken Breasts – after you butterfly the chicken breasts, pound them out if you need to make them more even in thickness
- Seasoned Croutons – using a seasoned crouton is an easy way to add flavor and seasoning
- Marinara Sauce – feel free to grab whatever your favorite brand is
- Mozzarella – any sort of mozz will do, fresh, shredded, sliced…whichever you prefer. You could also use provolone.
- Pesto – you can make your own or get store bought
For the Sandwich
- Hoagie Rolls – any good bread will do but it needs to be sturdy enough to hold up to the parmesan cheese but not
- Unsalted Butter – using unsalted helps you control the saltiness of your food
- Garlic Salt – we love Johnny’s garlic spread from Costco
And the Secrets are…
First, you need to buy the best bread you can find. It needs to be soft and squishy but still firm and solid enough to handle this baby. Then the important part, I insist that you cut open the bread, butter both sides, sprinkle each side with garlic salt like Johnny’s or Lawry’s that have the parsley etc. Now toast it in the oven and then add sauce to the bottom piece.
Second, add pesto! Pesto is the addition that you never realized you were missing! It blends with the other flavors so well and adds a wonderful pop of brightness to every bite.
Third, use seasoned croutons to bread the chicken. It adds the perfect amount of flavor and the crushed up croutons is just the crispy crunch you want on your chicken.
- Easy – these come together in no time and seem so fancy but are so simple.
- Great for a crowd – since they are so easy, they are great for serving the next time you have family or friends over. Everyone loves them and the recipe is easy to double or triple. Slice the sandwiches in halves or thirds to make them more of an appetizer/slider.
- Family favorite – my kids go crazy for these sandwiches and Cade keeps asking when we are going to have them again.
- Lunch or dinner – these are hearty enough for a full family dinner but also easy enough to whip up for a lunch, win/win!
- Flavorful toppings – between the marinara, cheeses, pesto, and garlic bread, you won’t be lacking in flavor anywhere!
Are Sub Sandwiches the Same As Hoagies?
Sub sandwiches are the same thing as hero, grinder, baguette, and hoagies.
They may be called by different names in different locations. We have a great hoagie recipe right here on the blog if you want to make them from scratch.
They are all a type of sandwich that consists of a long roll of bread split width wise into two pieces, and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, seasonings, and sauces.
Does Parmesan Chicken Use Mozzarella Cheese?
Chicken parmesan is made with mozzarella cheese, and/or provolone. We like to sprinkle a little parmesan on top too for extra flavor.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs Instead?
Yes, you can definitely use chicken thighs if you prefer. Thighs take longer to cook than chicken breasts so make sure you give them enough time to cook to a safe temperature.
Is Chicken Parmigiana the Same as Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken parmigiana and chicken parmesan are the same dish.
It’s a breaded chicken breast with lots of melted mozzarella and/or provolone.
Can You Make Parmesan Chicken Sandwiches Ahead of Time?
Unfortunately, chicken parm sandwiches don’t keep really well. The bread gets soggy and the chicken uses its crunch. They are best eaten fresh and warm!
How to Reheat and Store Parmesan Chicken
If you know you are going to have leftovers, I would not completely assemble the sandwiches. Don’t put marinara on the bread, that will just make it all soggy.
Store the chicken in an airtight container and when you’re ready to reheat it, I would recommend using an air fryer or the oven to get is crispy again. Then assemble as written in the instructions.
Now you can see why you need a recipe for a sandwich! The secrets to success will having you making these chicken parm sandwiches on the reg!
More Sandwich Recipes to Try:
Garlic Bread Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Servings: 4 sandwiches
For the Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Chicken Breasts , butterflied
- Seasoned Croutons , crushed
- Jarred Marinara of Choice
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella Sliced
For the Sandwich
- 4 Hoagie rolls or French Baguettes
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter softened
- Garlic Salt with Herbs we prefer Johnny’s Garlic Spread from Costco
Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil and place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan and heat to medium high heat.
Meanwhile, dredge the chicken in the finely crushed croutons on both sides.
Place 2 breasts at a time in the pan and after a minute turn down to medium low. Cook for 5 minutes (consult how to cook chicken in a pan) and flip, cooking another 5-7 minutes or until cooked through to 160 degrees. Remove to a plate, add more butter and oil and repeat with remaining chicken. Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the pesto.
Butter the insides of the bread and sprinkle with garlic salt. Heat the oven to broil and cook open faced until golden. Remove to set aside.
Add a spoonful or two of sauce to the bottom bread and place the chicken on top.
Cover the chicken in the sauce and add mozzarella.
Place under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly, then top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and add a smear of pesto to brighten the meal. Top with the other bread and dig in!
Garlic Bread Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Amount Per Serving (1 hoagie)
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Vitamin A 1702IU34%
Vitamin C 39mg47%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.