Mini Bagel Dogs, or Everything Bagel Pigs in a Blanket, make a great game day appetizer or kid-friendly after- school snack!
Everything Bagel Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a Blanket are a party favorite. This Mini Bagel Dog recipe is my Skinnytaste spinoff, made lighter and healthier by substituting turkey dogs and my Greek yogurt bagel dough recipe. Topped with everything bagel seasoning, these mini kid-friendly dogs are sure to fly off the plate! More fun snacks using bagel dough are these Stuffed Bagel Balls, Pepperoni Pizza Bites, and Pizza Sausage Rolls.
Pigs in a Blanket Ingredients
- Bagel Dough: All-purpose, whole wheat, or gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt, and nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Hot Dogs: I use Applegate Naturals turkey hot dogs cut in half.
- Egg: Brush the top of the dough with a beaten egg white.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Sprinkle the blend on top of the dough.
How to Make Mini Bagel Dogs
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. If you use parchment, spray it with oil so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Bagel Dough: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the yogurt until the dough looks like small crumbles.
- Knead the dough on a work surface lightly dusted with flour. You want it to be smooth and tacky, not sticky – no dough should be stuck on your hands when you’re done.
- Make the Pigs in the Blanket: Divide the dough into 16 balls. Press a ball flat and then roll it into a 4.5-inch oval. Wrap it around a hot dog half and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Finishing Touches: Brush each bagel dog with the egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 25 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How to Freeze Bagel Dogs
Leftovers can stay in the refrigerator for three days, or you can freeze them for about three months. Reheat from frozen in the microwave or air fryer.
Pigs in a Blanket Variations:
- Sausage: Feel free to swap hot dogs for your favorite turkey or chicken sausage.
- Cheese: Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top of the hot dog.
- Seasoning: If you don’t have everything bagel, you can use sesame and poppy seeds or whatever spices you like.
- Sauce: Serve with mustard and ketchup for dipping.
More Appetizer Recipes You’ll Love:
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Mini Bagel Dog recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare on my Stories!
Everything Bagel Pigs in a Blanket
Mini Bagel Dogs, or pigs in a blanket, make a great game day appetizer or kid-friendly after- school snack!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix, , plus more for dusting (5 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, I recommend Stonyfield or Fage 0%
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- 8 turkey hot dogs, such as Applegate Naturals, halved crosswise
- 2 teaspoons Everything Bagel seasoning
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is smooth and tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
Divide dough into 16 equal balls.
Dust your work surface and a rolling pin with more flour.
Press a ball flat then roll into a 4 ½-inch oval.
Wrap the dough around a hot dog half and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining hot dogs and dough.
Brush each with the egg wash and sprinkle with Everything Bagel seasoning.
Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Serving: 2mini bagel dogs), Calories: 160kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 32mg, Sodium: 755mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 1g
Keywords: bagel dogs, bagel dough recipes, football appetizers, pigs in a blanket