Here’s 4 ways to make an Avocado Toast with Egg – scrambled, poached, hard boiled or sunny side up, my favorite, healthy breakfast!
Avocado Toast with Egg
This healthy, avocado toast recipe is made on whole grain toast with mashed avocado, and your favorite egg. You can make this with a runny sunny side up egg, hard boiled egg, scrambled, or poached. If you’re like me, you make even want to add a few dashes of hot sauce! Adding egg to avocado toast is an easy way to add protein to breakfast toast. If you want to skip the egg, you might also like this avocado toast with lemon and kale.
I’ve been obsessed with avo toast for breakfast, especially when I have avocados in my fridge that need to be used up. It’s a simple, healthy breakfast when you need something delicious and fast. I also got Tommy and Karina on board, we all love avocado toast!!
Is avocado toast with egg healthy
Avocado toast is not just delicious, it’s also easy and good for you too. Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, and B6, as well as magnesium, and potassium. They also provide omega-3 fatty acids, lutein and beta carotene. Eggs are a good source of protein, and a great source of important nutrients, such as vitamin B6, B12 and vitamin D.
Best bread to use for avocado toast
There’s many great bread options to make avocado toast. If I am using a fresh bread, I usually like to use sour dough bread, rye or pumpernickel. For a shelf stable bread, Dave’s Killer Bread thin sliced is my favorite. If you need a gluten-free bread, schar gluten free bread is a great option.
Meal Prep Tips for Avocado Toast:
- To store unused ½ of avocado, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. They also sell avocado keepers (affiliate link) that claim to keep them fresher longer.
- Leave the pit in and get the wrap as close to the surface of the fruit as possible.
- If browning occurs, gently scrape the exposed flesh with a butter knife and voila, beautiful green avocado lies within!
- For meal prep, it’s best to use the hard boiled egg option.
Avocado Toast Egg Variations
- Gluten Free- use your favorite gluten-free bread.
- No Eggs – don’t like eggs, leave them out!
- Salmon – add smoked salmon for added protein.
- Poached Eggs – if you want to get fancy, top your toast with a poached egg and microgreens.
- Scrambled Eggs – if you prefer scrambled eggs, try them topped with some salsa.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – hard boiled eggs are a great option for meal prep. If you wan to make it even better, add sliced tomato and scallions.
- For flavor add “Everything but the bagel” seasoning on top.
- Guacamole – Swap the avocado for guacamole (I do this when I have leftover) for a Mexican avocado toast.
- Sliced – Don’t like your avocado mashed, slice it!
More Avocado Toast Recipes:
If you’re like me and love this avocado toast with egg recipe, I’d love to hear how you top yours! Comment below and if you want more inspiration, there’s lots of great ideas in the comments!
Avocado Toast with Egg (4 Ways)
Avocado Toast with Sunny Side Egg, now this is MY kind of breakfast egg sandwich!
- 1 slice whole grain or gluten-free bread, toasted (I love Dave’s Killer Bread good seed, thin sliced)
- 1 oz mashed, 1/4 small haas avocado
- cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- hot sauce, optional
For Sunny Side Up Egg Option:
Scrambled Egg Option:
Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork and season with a pinch of salt. Heat a small nonstick skillet over low heat, when hot spray with oil and pour the egg into the skillet. When the edges start to set, gently fold the eggs until the eggs are cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
Poached Egg Option:
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Crack the egg into a small bowl. When the water is boiling stir 1 teaspoon of white vinegar into the water and stir in a circular motion to create a vortex. Lower the heat then carefully add the egg to the middle of the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the yolk is cooked to your liking. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
To finish the avocado toast:
Serving: 1toast, Calories: 229kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 12g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 186mg, Sodium: 223mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 4g
Keywords: 5 minute avocado toast, avocado toast, avocado toast with egg, avocado toast with scrambled egg